Saturday, April 2, 2011

Repairing the antique blackwood flute

What to look for? Coming from a place with little knowledge of the wooden flute and even less  playing the instrument.makes finding a playable flute an interesting task. Will it play in 440? If it doesn't I may be playing alone. Do I really need all those keys for Irish music? Will it play in tune? Is it suitable for session playing?
Occasionally one will become available at auction in the hundred dollar price range. If you like the challenge of reviving something surely headed for the bin this restoration could suite you well. Some of the older flutes are beautiful and are worth restoring simply as a piece of art.
1.    I think I can narrow the field to a D hp  (high pitched) with tuning slide,
       I should be able to pull out to get 440 .Hopefully it will play in tune with itself
2.   Not too many cracks , I'm sure there will be a few ,probably around the slide.
3.   Blackwood would be nice

That's a start ,we'll see what presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment